Tuesday 12 April 2011

Free Tools Challenge #6 - DoInk


Today's Free Tools Challenge is DoInk, a free vector editor that you can use to create images and animations.

If you can draw, that is.

I, personally can't. You know how people say they can't draw, but they create lovely little paintings. Well, I am not one of them. I really can't draw. I never draw on the board, not because I am embarrassed by how I do it, but because my drawings only further confuse my students. Is it a bird? Or a butterfly? Oh, it is a flower. Isn't it?

I can't draw and I am going to prove it to you in a second. Yes, I did try DoInk. Of course I tried it. I managed to create this lovely educational video:


I bet my beginner students would never have grasped Present Continuous without it.

I can't draw, but other people can. And you can share DoInk drawings and animations on your website.

From what I have seen, most of the people in the DoInk community are very young. If you are teaching teenagers and if they enjoy drawing, this might be a perfect place for them. They have to be over 13 to join. But even if neither you nor your students feel like drawing, DoInk still has a lot to offer. Just explore it a little and see what you can come up with. For example, I really think I will be able to use this animation with my students:


As you can see, there is a lot of lovely language inside. And it fits perfectly with the topic of food and cooking.

If you are a blogger, you will find it easy to identify with this girl:


A lot of students are apparently choosing DoInk to do science projects, which is great if you teach CLIL.

For example, this little video is amazing:


And if you are interested in the topic, just follow the link underneath. There is more by the same author.

The trick here is to play around, watch a couple of animations and wait for the idea of a lesson plan to come to you. Unless you can draw, of course, in which case you can create exactly what you need.

As for my beginner students and their problems with Present Continuous, I think I am going to give this animation a try:



Technorati Tags:



6 comments:

karen said...

Thank you for exploring DoInk & sharing your experience. We love seeing students & teachers use our tools. DoInk was created as a site for creative expression which is extremely important for teens since so many art budgets have been cut in schools. As you mentioned DoInk is for users over 13. Our most active users are ages 13-15, with our power users being 15-21. Please e-mail me anytime if you have questions or if I can be of any help. Thank you! Karen@doink.com

Natasa said...

Karen, thank you for visiting my blog. I do like a website with a human face. You are doing a great job in DoInk. I am amazed at the number of creative young people out there.

Janelle said...

Great post, Natasa! You found some really great examples on DoInk. I have the drawing thing down, but I'm a perfectionist, so I haven't managed to complete a DoInk animation. Crazy, right? I do have several works in progress, though!

Natasa said...

Thank you, Janelle. I am a perfectionist about many things too, but I can't be a perfectionist about drawing. Hope to see some of your works soon.

Tracy Brady said...

I can totally relate to your animation! I'm headed into the DoInk challenge myself. I'll send you the link -- I'm sure it will make you feel better!

Natasa said...

Please do, Tracy. I'm looking forward to it. However it turns up, it can't be worse than mine.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...